Sunday, May 27, 2012

Death Falls

Death Falls
5/26/12
Between Blue Mountain Lake and Raquette Lake, NY, Hamilton County

We almost missed it! We were trying to clock the miles on my odometer but since I just got a new car last week  (2012 Honda Civic), I haven't figured out how to use everything. I am still adjusting to the fact that I have a car because I have been driving a Suburban type vehicle for the last 27 yrs. I am having trouble parking since I can't see the end of the front of my car. I'm sure that will change in time. Oh well.
Back to the falls... well, the only marking on the roadside is a yellow unlocked gate acting as a barrier. There is a small pull off which will accomodate a few cars. The trip to the falls starts with short .1 mile easy walk down a grassy road path. The path leads out to an open meadow. On the other side of the meadow go back into the woods and follow the path straight to the falls.
The volume of water is low, but the main attraction of this falls is the fact that it falls over a wide cliff face. Climbing the sides was  tough. I didn't make it up to the top but my husband did. He said it was a nice view. The total trip was .4 miles.
It was a popular spot. We encountered 3 groups of people in our short time there. We saw some people with their fishing poles but I can't imagine there being any fish in that area. I could be wrong.





It was a very nice short walk and worth a peek!
The directions I have say to turn left at the junction of Rt 28 & 30 in Blue Mountain Lake driving southwest on Rt 28 for 9.4 miles. The gate barrier will be on your left.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment