Saturday, May 26, 2012

Rock Lake

Rock Lake
Outside Indian Lake NY, Hamilton County
5/20/12



We found the Rock Lake trail and Rock Lake in general as a result of our hike to Sawyer Mountain. When we were at the top of Sawyer, we could see an unknown body of water so when we got back to our car, we drove a short distance north on Rt. 28 towards Blue Mountain Lake and found first a turn off for Rock Stream. That from what I understand it is a 3 mile hike to the stream. Approximately one more mile down Rt 28 is a turnoff for Rock Lake. So we decided to give the trail a try.
I think our pedometer clocked it at .7 miles vs the .5 that the state sign says. Either way, it was a relatively easy hike.

Once again to our surprise, there was a nice canoe left there and a flat bottom boat that looked heavy and unused. As was before, no oars in sight. We did find a somewhat homemade oar but the wind had picked up and we were afraid if we had gotten out in the lake, we might not be able to get back to shore with the homemade oar.  We decided when we got home to order some collapsible oars we found online for these occasions. There appears to be Bass in the lake. My husband was going to do some research of the fish found in that lake but I am not so sure if he did or not. There were a couple of fire pits and spots for what appeared to be primitive camping. I can't recall as to whether or not I saw signs prohibiting camping but I don't think I did. But don't quote me, check on it before you make plans to camp there or anywhere.


We're definately going to go back with our new collapsible oars and our fishing poles. If you get the opportunity, go hike the Rock Lake trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment