Friday, June 15, 2012

Hudson River Warrensburg, NY

Lake George Wild Forest
Hudson River Recreation Area-Nature Trails & X-Country Ski Trails
Warrensburg, NY-Warren County
June 3,2012

The entrance to this area is near Cronin's Golf Course. It might be listed as River Road, Cronin Road, I really don't know which is correct. This is not the first time we have visited this particular area. We have walked the trails previously viewing wildflowers and to see the Hudson River. So many cars have been there that we stopped to see what it was all about really.
We saw pink lady slipper flowers. I think that was the first time we had come across them in person. Definitely an odd shaped flower.
Neat looking rock huh?
Dragonfly's are one of my favorites.
I enjoy being more down near the river where my husband found many different kinds of flowers he hadn't had pictured and catalogued before. He take pictures and I carry a portable chair and sit in the sun and relax, sometimes play with my phone, read, look at the scenery or just chat away.
Or I can amuse myself in other ways as you can see. That rock was so round I couldn't help myself. Shortly before me doing that, we found a snake den. There were all sizes of snakes in there. I almost tripped over one and when my husband went looking where it went, over the bank, he saw several of them. One was curled up on a rock sunning himself. The huge one disappeared. He was hoping to get pictures of it. We think they were water snakes from the pictures and descriptions of them online. I don't mind snakes, but I wouldn't go searching them out either.
Here are some pictures of the river. Pretty spot, especially if its hot out. But the kids/teens have really trashed the area. Leaving broken beer bottles, cases of empties and food wrappers everywhere. Plus, someone had the bright idea to paint all over the rocks. What a shame. If you teach your kids anything in the woods, teach them to pick up after themselves and in some cases pick up after others if necessary. 

We had just had some decent rains and the river was still up. But mid-summer, I'm sure it's down in this spot like other spots I can see. I'm glad I live so close to this much beauty.
Next excursion, unknown. But I'll find somewhere to go before the weekend is here. Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment